Sarot Srang, Ph.D.
Room 102, Building H,
Research and Innovation Center,
Russian Federation Boulevard, P.O.Box 86,
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
2020 - Present Head of Techno Incubation Center (TIC)
2019 - 2020 Coordinator of Master Program of Intelligent Mechatronics
2017 - Present Head research unit of Mechatronics and Information Technology
2015 - Present Head of Dynamics and Control Laboratory, Institute of Technology of Cambodia (ITC)
2014 - 2015 Lecturer and researcher at Institute of Technology of Cambodia
2009 - 2011 Lecturer at Institute of Technology of Cambodia
2011 - 2014 Ph.D., Department of Mechanical and Control System Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
2007 - 2009 Master of Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Bandung Institute of Technology, Indonesia
2002 - 2007 Bachelor of Engineering, Department of Industrial and Mechanical Engineering, Institute of Technology of Cambodia
Training and Hands-on
2019: Training on PLC and SCADA provided by Mitsubishi Electric.
2017: Training on Applied Mathematics involving Random Process, Stochastic Calculus, Data Analysis, Statistical Modeling, Machine Learning, and Simulation Methods. The courses were instructed by French professors from the Department of Applied Mathematics, École National Superieur d’Informatique pour l’Industie et l’Entreprise. There were hands-on solving
problems using machine learning algorithms and coding.
2016: Seminar on Science and Technology Policy and Management, China. It was a two weeks
seminar that covers the history of the whole Policy, the S&T Policy for Agriculture, and the S&T Policy for High-Tech. All the trainees were guided to visit Science Parks, Incubator Centers, S&T Information Center, and the Agricultural Research Center.
2016: Operacy: Key to Personal Empowerment, Success and Leadership, Institute of Technology of Cambodia.
2016: Project management for manufacturing executive provided by the Technology Promotion Association (Thai-Japan), Thailand.
2015: Machine shop operation, management, and safety provided by Kyoto University, Japan.
2014: Attending the presentation of an energy audit for Chulalongkorn University, Thailand. The presentation talked about the introduction of using IoT technology for monitoring energy
consumption and the usage of every device in the university.
2010: Short-term research on using unscented Kalman for state and parameter estimation in
Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan.
2010: Automation software (PLC) and SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition)
provided by Schneider Electric, Cambodia. The course was hands-on using Vijeo Citect software for the SCADA system to monitor and control electrical and electronic devices.
GRANTS and AWARDS
2021 - 2023: Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport
2021 - 2023: Asian office of Aerospace Research and Development, US Air Force
2019 - 2020: Ministry of Economy and Finance
2019 - 2021: Ministry of Environment
2017 - 2018: US Air Force, Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development
2015 - 2016: Takahashi Foundation
2010 - 2011: Research-for-Alumni grant (AUN/SEED.Net)
Dynamical modeling and control simulation for the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and solar tracker
Estimation of dynamical systems with a discontinuous vector field, Kalman-type filters for linear and nonlinear systems
Gyro drift rate estimation
Interpolation based on quaternion
Adaptive control for actuator nonlinearity
Optimization: Linear programming, dynamic programming, line search, Lagrange multiplier,
Optimal control: linear quadratic regulator, and model predictive control
Unknown input observer, fault detection, and isolation observers
Estimation of stochastic singular systems, and descriptive systems
Estimation over unreliable communication networks
Stability based on interval observer
Semistability theory for differential inclusions
System identification for industrial robots
Motion planning and manipulability and control on wireless feedback
Dynamic modeling for a multicopter
Design, modeling, simulation, and virtual reality animation
Programing machine learning, deep learning, and other artificial intelligence algorithms and deploy to hardware such as Nvidia Jetsons (TK1, TX2, and AGX Xavier) using MATLAB GPU Coder and Robot Operating System (ROS).
2018: Consultant on SCADA system installation for electrical power substations. We the consulting team checked all the technical aspects such as the selection of devices based on specification, technical drawing, method of statement for installation, Factory Acceptant Test (FAT), Insulation Test, Site Acceptant Test (SAT), Testing, and Commissioning.
2017 - 2018: Part-time Project Manager for Senserey Construction Co., Ltd.
2016: Design and build mechatronics systems and machinery such as solar tracker system and screw flight forming machine. I directly lead a team to design and simulate the machine in computer software. Then, the machine was manufactured and successfully tested.
2010 - 2017: Control programming such as Labview, SCADA, xPC target of Simulink Real-time toolbox (MATLAB), C/C++ for Arduino, and Python for Raspberry Pi. These tools are used to control machines and especially robots.
2010 - 2017: Use of electronic devices and cards such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PCI 6601/6602 from National Instrument, and Speedgoat target machine.
2010: Use of CNC milling machine to make parts of a SCARA robot. I programmed in the machine to automatically manufacture parts of the robot.
2010: Design, create, and control the SCARA robot and 4 DOF robot manipulator. The robot was designed on a computer and manufactured. I modeled the kinematics, inverse kinematics, and dynamics for the robots, and simulated them. The SCARA robot was also built to test in real-time control.
2010: Fast prototyping using xPC target.
2008: Control of DC motor, stepper motor, and servo motors. I modeled the dynamic of a DC
motor and identified all of its parameters. I have also used all of these motors for controlling small machines and robots.
1. (Submitted) Thura Peuo, Sopeak Yean, Boreth Sethy and Sarot Srang, “PD Controller and Dynamic Compensation Design for a DC Motor based on Estimated Parameters,” 2021 International Conference on Advanced Mechatronics, Intelligent Manufacture and Industrial Automation (ICAMIA) . Indonesia.
2. (Submitted) Sophyn Srey, Vongchivorn Chhour and Sarot Srang, “Lumped Parameter Estimation of a Low-Cost DC Motor for Position Controller Design,” 2021 International Conference on Advanced Mechatronics, Intelligent Manufacture and Industrial Automation (ICAMIA) . Indonesia.
3. (Submitted) Phayuth Yonrith, Sarot Srang, Morokot Sakal, Boreth Sethy, "Mobile Robot Localization using Extended Kalman Filter with Kinematic Model" Techno-Science Research Journal, 2021.
4. (Submitted) Hoksong Tim, Sarot Srang, Morokot Sakal, "Simulation and Numerical Characterization of Gaseous Oxygen Injector for ABS/GOX Hybrid Rocket Motor" Techno-Science Research Journal, 2021.
5. (Submitted) Vanyi Chao, Sarot Srang, Morokot Sakal, Chivorn Keo, "Helipad Detection for UAV based on YOLOv4 Transfer Learning Model" Techno-Science Research Journal, 2021.
6. Sarot Srang et al., “Policy Brief: Minimum Pre-Requisite for Creating High-tech and Deep-tech Startup Ecosystem in Cambodia”, Asian Vision Institute , 2021.
7. Dalin Soun, Morokot Sakal, Hokly Sor and Sarot Srang, “Design and Implementation of the Commercial-Off-The-Shelf Electrical Power System for the Satellite Training Kit – DemoSat,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2021, Cambodia.
8. Sam Ban, Andreea Dan, Félix Guinet, Julien Portanguen, Sarot Srang and Matthieu Lauras “Assessing the potentialities of Physical Internet for Developing Countries Last-Mile Deliveries,” IPIC 2021, 8 th International Physical Internet Conference . 2021, Germany.
9. Sarot Srang, Sopagna Ath, and Masaki Yamkita, “Newton-Euler Based Dynamic Modeling and Control Simulation for Dual-Axis Parallel Mechanism Solar Tracker, ” Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal . Vol. 5, No. 5, 709-716, 2020.
10. Chivorn Keo, Sarot Srang, and Daro Van, “Modeling and Simulation at the Equilibrium of Fixed-Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2020, Cambodia.
11. Boreth Sethy, Sarot Srang, and Daro Van, “Pose Estimation for Differential Drive Mobile Robot using Multi-Sensor Data Fusion,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2020.
12. Tongly Mork, Sarot Srang, and Daro Van, “Simultaneous Localization and Mapping using Intel RealSense Camera,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2020.
13. Leangchheng Ly, Sarot Srang, and Daro Van, “Modeling, Control, and Simulation on 3DOF Robot Manipulator,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2020.
14. Bunvireak Lim, Sarot Srang, and Daro Van, “Development of IoT Smart Controller: Case Study for the Gravity Irrigation System,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2020.
15. Lyhor Tem, and Sarot Srang, “CNC-Mill Construction and Automatic Control to Shape the Specimen by CAD/CAM,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2020.
16. Sam Ban Matthieu Lauras, and Sarot Srang, "Toward Physical Internet-enabled Supply Chain and Logistics Networks in Developing Countries, " PRO-VE - 21st IFIP / SOCOLNET Working Conference on Virtual Enterprises , 2020, Spain.
17. Maximilien Berthet et al. , “ Student-Led Policy and Technical Capacity Building Program: The Road to Cambodia's First CubeSat ,” 71st International Astronautical Congress (IAC) , 2020.
18. Sarot Srang and Sopagna Ath, “Dynamic Modelling and Simulation for 2DOF Parallel Mechanism Solar Tracker,” IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics , 2019. Hong Kong
19. Sarot Srang, “Dynamic Modeling for Multi Rigid Body UAV,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2019, Cambodia.
20. Rethy Chhem et al., “Industry 4.0: Prospects and Challenges for Cambodia’s Manufacturing Sector”, Cambodia Development Resource Institute , 2018.
21. Sarot Srang and Masaki Yamakita, “Estimation of discontinuous dynamical systems using receding-horizon unscented Kalman filter,” Techno-Science Research Journal , 2017, Cambodia.
22. Sarot Srang and Daro Van, “A generic control law for a dual-axis solar tracker,” (Poster) Seminar on Knowledge sharing , 2016, Cambodia.
23. Sarot Srang, “Inverse kinematics and trajectory tracking of a 4DOF robot manipulator”, Inauguration of Robotic Conference in Cambodia , 2016, Cambodia.
24. Sarot Srang and Masaki Yamakita, “Application of continuous-discrete unscented Kalman filter for control of nonlinear systems with actuator nonlinearity,” IEEE The 33rd Chinese Control Conference , pp. 8837-8842, 2014, China.